Creative Ways That Save Time And Money At The Grocery Store!
Creative ways to go grocery shopping is an art and here’s why I say that. You made your list, shopping in the grocery store and you think you got everything. You're in the last aisle with your cart and you spy a cashier register with no line. While walking over to the register you glance down at your list just making sure you have everything and notice you didn’t pick-up the main ingredient.
That ingredient you know is located over a couple aisle away and close to the entrance doorway, away from this cash register. Yikes!
Well, that has happened to me. Very frustrating!! That’s why I’m inviting you to creative ways to save time and money at the grocery store to start you and/or your family's healthy lifestyle journey with me.
Shopping can truly be a weekly frustration if you don't have a system in place. Going through what you already have at home, planning meals, making a shopping list, and then actually getting to the store and staying on track can be incredibly overwhelming.
But what if I told you that a few simple guidelines could not only make your shopping experience much more pleasant but also may save you money?
Creative Ways To Save At The Grocery Store!
Here is how to make grocery day as painless as possible:
- Plot your path. You've already decided which meals you're having this coming week, so now it's time to make your list. With my online meal plan programs this is already done for you where you are provided with completed shopping list. But when planning your own list, as you create the list, group items and ingredients into categories.
🫐List all of your produce together,
🥓anything from the deli,
🥚all of your chilled items,
🥛and anything frozen you may need.
This allows you to do a once around the store, which is much quicker and more efficient than shopping for each recipe individually. You'll save some steps and have less chance of being distracted and adding items that weren't on your list to the cart.
- Shop the outside. Much in the same vein as plotting your path, if you do happen to hit the store with no list, try to shop the outer edges of the store. The outside path around the store typically houses the departments with whole foods. You'll find fruits and vegetables, eggs, bread, and more.
- Buy what is in season. As you shop, try to choose items that are bountiful. For example, root vegetables are in season during the fall/winter months. By eating fruits and vegetables that are in season, you'll avoid the extra costs that may be associated with importing out-of-season items, and they taste way better, too!
- Choose store brand. When you do have to wander into the middle of the grocery store for spices or grains, try to go for the store brand option. Not only is it a cheaper option, they usually taste just the same, if not better.
- Watch for sales. If you're diligent when it comes to keeping an eye out for sales, you can stock up on a few things here and there to fill your pantry. As you add non-perishables, you may see that your favorite berries are on sale. Grab a few to freeze. This doesn't add much to your total bill but saves you time and money in the long run.
Grocery Store Shopping In Summary!
These creative ways could be your key for heart health, disease prevention, weight loss and longevity. With daily mouth-watering recipes, a completed shopping list, for your ease of shopping and more.
By spending a little more time planning on the front end, you will definitely benefit from it on the back end. When we sit down to create a menu for the week, we end up eating much healthier and filling foods. Often, we even have an extra portion or two to pack for lunch the next day, saving us mental space in the mornings.
If you have a favorite time or money-saving tip, please do share it with me at Donna@wocdetox.com. I'd love to hear what's up your sleeve!
Return to Women of Color From Creative Ways To Save Time and Money at the Grocery Store!